I am teaching in these courses and supervision of individual graduation students:
Current chair/mentor of graduation projects (2022)
- Marije Markensteijn. Zeewaardig. Impact Tool for Participatory design approaches.
- Tijmen Bulstra. Enliven. Empathic connection through avatars in the meta verse.
- Esmeralda van den Berg. Gemeente Den Haag. on human centred expertise integration in policy implementation.
- Stijn Burmanje. Gemeente Den Haag. on defining policies though empowerment of citizens (doe-vermogen)
- Luc van Calmthout. Gemeente Utrecht. on implementation of inclusive services.
- Pim van Os. Gemeente Rotterdam. on Crooswijk participation platform.
Supervision of past graduation projects of Master students
- Yeun Kim(2021). Sense of Togetherness in online workspaces. Ford & Studiolab
- Ronja Strikkers (2021). Empathy development in education for CMD students. Hogeschool Rotterdam
- Cristina Florensa Casals (2021). When the partnership. becomes the journey. Role of design in long term relationships with healthcare institutions. Philips
- Jana Sinitsova (2021). Empowerment of Youth Through Design in Youth Initiatives. Garage2020
- Frederique Batelaan (2021). Empathy in construction sector. Dura Vermeer.
- Wies van Nifterik. (2020) Daily Family Routines after Corona Times.
- Malena Lopez Reyes. (2020) Supporting empathic dialogues in care service for assisting women against violence. Centro Universitario para la dignidad y la Justicia Francisco Suárez,Guadalajara, Mexico.
- Dora Tsai-Cheng Ho (2020) Positive moments between elderly, caretakers and their families. Taiwan.
- Sarah Kraanen. (2020) Future Life Stories. OD205.
- Laura Schrauwen. (2020)Better handovers at ICU of LUMC.
- Mathijs Rebel. (2020) A service system concept for DiaMediPort. KoDieZijn.
- Rens de Graaf. (2019) Service Improvement for seeking justice: Supporting citizens to make cantonal law understandable. Rechtbank Noord-Holland.
- Wies van Lieshout. (2019)Supporting people in debt with breaking the taboo of having debts.
- Elise Wabeke. (2019) Support residents to develop new practices in zero energy homes. Second Skin Project. Faculty of Industrial Design Engineering.
- Nasibeh Soltani Ramezanzadeh. (2019) Culturally driven co-creation: Guidelines for facilitators in U_CODE (Urban Collective Design Environment) project. Faculty of Industrial Design.
- Isabelle Lugert. (2018) Cycle through life: a non-stigmatising stabilised bicycle. Beixo. Development of this concept.
- Stein Wetzer. Reflection toolkit for Bachelor design students. Faculty of Industrial Design.
- Mathijs Broekhuizen. (stopped) Improving customer service on physical touchpoint of insurer. DSW.
- Pelin Esnaf. (2018) Empathy Toolkit. Empathy as a Design skill. Practicing six key attention points. Faculty of Industrial Design.
- Bella Bovens. (2017) Interior design concept of hospital care room for design agency Fabrique.
- Myrthe Buskens. (2017) Diabetes management concept in everyday life at Roche.
- Pim van Scholl. (2017) Online social learning concept through iterative prototyping at TinQwise.
- Eduard de Jong. (2017) Service design methodology manual at Ford in Aachen Germany.
- Kate Spierings. (2017) Service concept through iterative prototyping at Ford in Aachen Germany.
- Merel Verwaal (2016). Designing a service design education programme for Zilver Innovation.
- Micha Lionarons (2016). Designing a strategy to improve use of health related data from wearables at Deloitte.
- I-Chu Liao (2016). Service solution for AO patients based on journey mapping at Biomet/|Reinier de Graaf hospital.
- Yi-An Lai (2016). Enhancing bonding experience of online course students at TU Library.
- Anne Kompier (2016) Engaging play for VMBO students in musea at Boijmans van Beuningen/ARTtube.
- Annelieke Langeveld (2015). Optimisation of patient experience on acute medical unit at LUMC.
- Flaminia del Conte (2015). Community strengthening service for Vlieland at Province of Friesland.
- Junji Liu (2014). New service for life logging camera at startup Narrative.
- Rashna Mourillon (2014). Service concept to seduce clients towards online communication at OHRA.
- Karan Shah (2014). Crowdsourcing strategies at BOSCH.
- Rosel van den Berg (2014). Tailoring rehabilitation consults in orthopaedics at Biomet.
- Luke Chen (2014). New services for carsharing based on personalities of cars at Volkswagen.
- Laura Nino & Andriy Yasyenetskyy (2014). Redesigning Electronic Health Record (EHR) system of Tasy at Philips. (This was not a Master graduation but a research project for Joint Master Project).
- Jaap Gerritsen (2013). A car sharing online interface to encourage trust between users at MyWheels.
- Mikel Porras Hoogland (2013). A user-centred approach for webstartups at Fray.
- Muryani Kasdani (2013). A social innovation tool at Kennisland.
- Juan David Martin (2012). How to design the new Zilver? at Zilver Innovation.
- Mahir Alkaya (2012). A tool for making use of user data based on empathy theory within organisations at Ahold.
- Lieke Beelen (2012). Embedding a vitality mindset into the daily work-lifestyles of employees at Lifeguard.
- Bas Botermans (2011). Provotypes for indoor climate at SPIRE research centre in Sønderborg.
- Jill Roelofs (2011). Using video in personas at Exact.
- Alazne Alberdi Alvaro (2010). She designed a strategy for targeting young men and their personal care for Philips DAP based on a contextmapping study about shaving with teens.
- Fenne van Doorn (2010). She designed a concept for the DOK (Delft Public Library) which stimulates children in their search process for finding books. She combined contextmapping and early prototyping and evaluated her concept with children.
- Geertje Roodbol (2009). She designed a new service concept for planning travels for the NS (Dutch railways) for 2012.
- Two students Marijke Verhoef & Christiaan Uythoven (summer 2009) have conducted a contextmapping study about gaming experiences for a game developer in Amsterdam as an internship.
- Merlijn Kouprie (2007). She graduated at StudioLab. Her graduation project was a research project, closely related to my phd research. She designed an experiment and I designed the tools to be used in the experiment. The topic was enhancing empathy in ideation workshops.
- Liv Kooijmans (2007). She graduated with O’neill on a jacket for surfers. Based on a contextmapping study, she identified specific moments during the surfing experience, where a new product would benefit the experience. The jacket is worn over the wetsuit, while taking a little break out of the water, on the beach.
- Olga Reutelingsperger (2007). She graduated with Research International. She designed a booklet to inspire the researchers of the quantitative department to create more impact when presenting the results of a quantitative study.
- Maartje Huinink (2007). After a contextmapping internship at Scope, she also graduated at Scope. Her project was about consumer preferences, and including a contextual dimension in the results.
- Jonas Piet (2005). Jonas designed a user-generated tourist information product for the city Vilnius. He conducted a very extensive and inspiring probe study to come to his vision for the product.
- Janneke van Veen (2005). She graduated with Boon Edam. This project was also about the experience of entering buildings, but not necessarily high capacity buildings. She designed a booklet to inspire the manufacturer of sliding doors to include the user experience more in their products
- Victor Visser (2004). He graduated with Boon Edam. This project was about the experience of entering high-capacity buildings. Victor designed a concept for a hotel lobby, in which people should feel welcome as if it is their own house, but at the same time feel safe that the ‘wrong’ people are rejected in this place.
Master course Context&Conceptualisation (id4261)
This is a Master’s course for the students of Design for Interaction (DfI) and of Strategic Product Design (SPD). Each year this course runs from September to January. I teach topics such as contextmapping, visualisation of user insights, empathic design, and journey mapping. By lecturing and mentoring I help students learning theory and hands-on experience with these topics.
Online course Implementing Customer Insights for Your Business
This 4 week online course runs every year (Edx)
MOOC Design in Healthcare: Using Patient Journey Mapping
This (free) 4 week online course runs every year. (Edx)
Elective Master course Contextmapping Skills
As a coach, client or teacher I am involved in this elective to train students the skills and capabilities to conduct context mapping and generate relevant insights for real clients.
Elective Master course Service Design: Designing Touchpoints in the system (id5666)
This course is coordinated by prof D. Snelders and I lecture and coach in this course. Students learn about service design theory, and practice particularly with journey mapping, visualising and acting out as service prototyping techniques.
Elective Master course Service Design Process (id5665)
From 2016 this course is not provided any longer. This course was about designing solutions including service elements. In 2012 this course was set up as a thinktank about the role of designers in the changing current design practice and the skills, methods and mindsets that are needed. It was a critical reflective course with Master students, staff members and design practitioners involved. The thoughts, discussions and case studies are collected in the book ‘Service design by Industrial Designers’. Each year the course zooms in on one of the recommendations for education of the new generation of designers. In 2013 the course was about connecting and communicating with the client: Designers are great in presenting concepts and inspire their client, but miss the business language and skills/tools to help the client (in this case Zodiac Aerospace) towards implementation when their concepts concern service elements. In 2014 we worked again with Zodiac Aerospace, but this year’s emphasis was on designing in-flight service concepts by iterations of customer/crew journeys and service prototyping. In 2015 we worked with Zodiac again.
As a coach I am involved in this conceptual design project. Runs every year in first semester. Only for Design for Interaction Master students
Masterclass Service design
This is a 2day Masterclass for design professionals who are interested in the service innovation developments in design practice. It is offered each 2 years. This year I won’t provide the Masterclass, but prof Dirk Snelders will take over the Masterclass.